(1865 – 1938)
Alessandro Mazzucotelli (1865 – 1938)
Born in Lodi from a merchant family of iron original Imagna valley , soon moved to Milan, where he found work as an apprentice with his brother Charles, in the blacksmith shop of Defendente Oriani in via Aldus, who later took over ( 1891 ; from 1902 to 1908 the company was named Mazzucotelli-Engelmann; later worked alone, in first Ponchielli and then at Bicocca ).
Equipped with exceptional skill and creativity, able to give the iron that aspect lithe and “flowery” which was the dominant character of Liberty, it soon became a required collaborator known architects as Giuseppe Sommaruga , Gaetano Moretti , Ernesto Pirovano , Franco Oliva , Ulisse Stacchini and Silvio Gambini .
Distinguished himself at the first International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Art of Turin of 1902 , the following year carried out a trip to several European countries together with the ‘ cabinetmaker Eugenio Quarter ; to return, undertaken activity professor at ‘ Humanitarian .
Since 1922 he directed the School of Applied Arts ISIA of Monza , where his pupil and successor to the chair of wrought iron Gino Manara ; was president of the Venice Biennale International Applied Arts.
Among the exhibitions he attended later remember the ‘Exposition Universelle et Internationale in Brussels ( 1910 ) and ‘Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris ( 1925 ).
Although his specialty has always been the iron, also worked on designs for the jewels of Calderoni and textures of the fabrics of Brembate .
Is also mentioned by Guareschi in the book “The discovery of Milan”.