Koloman Moser (1868-1918)

Koloman Moser (1868-1918)

Prior to business school, in 1885, he passed the entrance exam at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna without having informed his parents.

On the recommendation of his teacher Trenkwald, Moser was hired as an art teacher for children of Archduke Karl-Ludwig Wartholz castle in Reichenau an der Rax. It is from this time that his friendship with Carl Otto Czeschka, to whom he transmitted the place of professor dessin.De 1892 to 1897, was a member of Koloman Siebener Club, which later left the movement of the Secession Viennese.

In 1897 he was a founding member of the Vienna Secession. In 1903, Josef Hoffmann and Moser founded with the industrialist Fritz Wärndorfer the Wiener Werkstätte. The aim was to promote more artistic crafts that industrial production.

He died in 1918 of cancer of the larynx. He was buried on October 21 next to the cemetery in Hietzing. In his honor, a street was named after him in 1969 in Donaustadt. In 1989, a piece of 500 Schilling was struck with his portrait. On the front of his apartment in Landstrasse is a commemorative plaque.

Koloman Moser was one of the most important artists of Vienna around 1900. It is part of the leading representatives of Art Nouveau. His painting was first marked by impressionism before submitting to the influence of Ferdinand Hodler. Moser exercised many artistic trades. He realized decorative large-scale projects. The largest collection of his works, including many paintings and objects, is at the Leopold Museum in Vienna. Much of the collection is displayed in the permanent exhibition Wien 1900. In addition, the library and art collection of magazines of the Museum of Applied Arts in Vienna has almost 700 drawings Moser, stored in a database 2008 and awarded with the information magazine Ver Sacrum and Jungendschatz deutscher Dichtung.

KolomanMoser-ALB1.jpg